When you’re trying to lose weight, finding yourself face to face with food cravings for something that is not appropriate to your dieting efforts can be a genuine problem.
Food cravings may sound simple, but they can be overwhelmingly powerful, to the point that all you can think about is that candy bar, bag of chips, or cupcake that you are longing to eat. When you are just starting a diet and have cut out fatty, salty, and sugary foods, these cravings can be especially powerful.
Fortunately, there are things that you can do – many of them – that can help you to overcome food cravings, fast, before they get the chance to truly take hold. If you feel one coming on and are distracted from work or whatever else you are trying to do at the moment, use one or several of these tips to get your mind away from that food that you love but that doesn’t love you back.
5 Ways to Overcome Food Cravings Quickly
Check out these fantastic tips for putting your food cravings behind you:
- Get active – whether that means getting up and going for a walk, doing some Pilates, or even lifting hand weights for a few minutes, get moving and get your blood pumping. This will not only help to boost your heart rate and burn off some extra calories for a few minutes, but it will also encourage your brain to release endorphins, which help you to feel happier overall. The more content you feel, the less likely you are to fall victim to the urge to snack.
- Drink water – water is a natural appetite suppressant and quenching your thirst can actually quench your cravings at the same time. For an added burst of flavor, add cucumber and lemon slices to your water. It will be refreshing enough to eliminate that need for something else.
- Keep your hands busy – try knitting, playing a video game, or anything else that requires your hands to be continually active. If you can’t use your hands, you can’t eat.
- Chew gum – if all you’re really looking for is an oral fixation, then chewing gum will give you all of the sensations of eating, including the taste of something sweet, without having to eat chocolate or cakes.
- Have a healthier snack – eat a handful of almonds, a bowl of baby carrots, or even a small salad. Once you beat your hunger, you’ll likely take your craving down, with it.
Consider Buying Adipex or an OTC Weight Management Product
Sometimes, despite your best efforts, you might still find it difficult to overcome food cravings, eat healthy at every meal and every snack, and lose weight. If you find yourself find yourself in this situation, don’t lose hope! There are a lot of weight management supplements and diet pills available that you can get over-the-counter or with a prescription from your doctor.
For example, you might want to talk to your doctor about buying adipex to make it easier to control your appetite throughout the day. Or, you might consider taking a product that you can buy over the counter to help you focus on eating right so you don’t give in to unhealthy food cravings.
There’s a Difference Between Cravings and Hunger
According to Verywell Fit, it’s important to be able to recognize when you are really hungry versus when you’re having a craving. Basically, a craving is more of an emotional or mental feeling, rather than the physical need for food that comes with hunger, so try to listen to what your body is really telling you before giving in to cravings.
Hopefully, with the tips above, you’ll be able to successfully overcome cravings so you can lose weight and stay in shape!