Feeling Awkward During Yoga Class? You’re Not Alone!
Stepping into a yoga class for the first time can feel daunting. It’s hard to know what you should expect from the experience, as it’s not like any other type of fitness class you’ll have taken in your life. Typically speaking, there is soft music playing, the lights are dim, and people just seem to know where they should roll out their mats.
The following are a few of the thoughts that you may think are uniquely your own, but that virtually everyone will experience on their first day of a yoga class:
• Is that other person really supposed to place his/her mat so close to mine?
• Am I going to be able to do this? Should I have tried an easier difficulty level?
• The music and lighting is making me feel relaxed even without doing one move.
• Am I the only one who didn’t think to get a pedicure before coming here?
• I wish I’d know that loose shirts work against you in the Downward Dog pose.
• There is no way I’m ever going to be able to stretch like that!
• How many times can I fall over before I should be very embarrassed?
• Am I sweating a lot more than everyone else?
• Isn’t this supposed to be relaxing? Am I in the wrong class?
• I really wish that person hadn’t set up so close to me, I’m going to accidentally kick him/her!
• I couldn’t be more relieved that lying down on the floor is actually a pose!
• As long as I don’t think of that too-close person, this is very relaxing, after all!
• Holy cow, is this class over, already? That was so fast!
• How is it that I have so much energy now when I was so exhausted at the start?
It’s easy to feel like you’re the odd one out when you start your yoga class for the first time, but the truth is that it feels strange to just about everybody in the beginning. The key is to give it a genuine try and allow yourself to focus on your breathing, take the instructor’s criticisms as guidance to get more out of every move, and truly relax away all of the stresses from your day. You’ll enjoy the rush of energy at the end of every class that you complete, so make sure that your first class is only the beginning of a new and more healthful lifestyle!